Sunday, March 27, 2011


Do you ever have those days where you just feel blah? Well last night I was in a big funk. I have been here for over two and half months and I think there are times when I just hit a wall. I think it was a combination of things: I was worn out from our weekend excursion to Granada and Cordoba, I was still sad from saying goodbye to my mom, I was tired of speaking spanish, I was feeling sick, and I was (and still am) having some weird problem with my eyes where it hurts to be in the light or open them. So as I sat there alone in my very dark room (literally almost all the lights were off because of my eyes) I decided to journal. I have been reading this daily devotional since I have been here: Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I have posted a few of it's entries before on here. They are all written from the point of view of God talking to us based on certain passages from the Bible. I  have absolutely loved reading them every night and seeing the Word come alive in a new way. That night, the entry was so comforting to read: 

"This is a time in your life when you must learn to let go: of loved ones, of possessions, of control. In order to let go of something that is precious to you, you need to rest in My Presence, where you are complete. Take time to bask in the Light of My Love. As you relax more and more, your grasping hand gradually opens up, releasing your prized possession into My care. You can feel secure, even in the midst of cataclysmic changes, through awareness of My continual Presence. The One who never leaves you is the same One who never changes: I am the same yesterday, today, and forever. As you release more and more things into My care, remember that I never let go of your had. Herein lies your security, which no one and no circumstances can take from you." 
Jesus Calling
Psalm 89:15; Hebrews 38:8; Isaiah 41:13 


I love Spain more than I ever thought I would; and I know it will always be apart of me. But there are times when I just want to be in Austin, Texas in my own bed with my family and with all the conveniences that come with living in America. It was so encouraging to read that entry from Jesus Calling and to hear that even in the midst of "cataclysmic changes" that God will never change and He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. That has been one of the main things I have learned since I have been here: how FAITHFUL God is. I have never experienced his faithfulness like this before. So I know that even though I have nights like last night and sometimes get in funks, I am here in Sevilla for a reason, and God has already laid the path for me and He will walk with me along it holding my right hand. I know I am going to look back on these four months I had in Spain with an ache in my heart because I miss it so much. I only have 48 more days here and I want to live each one with a purpose. 



1 comment:

  1. rachel, laura bonahoom here. just letting you know that your blog is so encouraging and i love reading it. also, i've got that eye problem here in atx too... i think it's the pollen here but i'm not sure sevilla has pollen? aahhaa who knows. anywho, i literally feel your pain. the Lord has blessed you with such an amazing opportunity in spain, and i'm confident you're making the most of it. keep bloggin, gehl, and my prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete